VOICES: Niles North feminists speak up, speak out

Niles North has its very own women’s empowerment and advocacy club. VOICES is a group of young students who are determined to make a difference in the community. Their mission is help women, spread awareness about issues that affect women, such as media, body image, domestic violence and other infringements of women’s rights.

The club is not just about spreading awareness and having  discussions; members volunteer at women’s shelters, host movie nights and sponsor awareness campaigns throughout the school year. Senior Regina Roberg, club president, believes that, “This is the club’s year to flourish and blossom in the Niles North community. We are excited to increase membership and volunteer opportunities, along with offering exciting and controversial topics for our weekly debates. Another goal for this year will be to collaborate with other clubs in organizing more social justice campaigns.”

“S.A.D.D. has never teamed up with another club, so I’m really excited to see how it turns out,” Shahzmeen Hussain, senior, vice-president of S.A.D.D, said. Since this is the first time the club will be teaming up with another club, the sponsors and other members are very optimistic.

“Teaming up with VOICES is a great way in understanding different way we can make good choices and how those choices impact our lives”  said Shama Joshi, sponsor of S.A.D.D.

Their  first campaign, on Oct. 17, is a  national event called “Love Your Body Day”. The members of VOICES are teaming with the members from S.A.D.D. (Students Against Destructive Decisions)  to  host  a wristband and bake sale during all lunch periods. “As a society it is important to acknowledge that we need a day dedicated to ‘love your body’ because negative body image is still a huge problem,” Roberg says. “ And by signing this pledge to promise to respect and accept one’s body, there is room for personal growth in the process. That’s essentially our goal.” Visitors can also sign a pledge/contract, promising to accept and love their body. But the day won’t end there– from 4:00-6:00 p.m. that day the clubs are sponsoring a free self defense class. The classes will be held in room 2030 and its open to all North students.

If you have a strong belief in equality, and are determined to spread awareness, then this is the club for you. VOICES meets every Tuesday after school in the student activities conference room where they will welcome all newcomers.