Israel’s Arava Institute is blooming its way to a better political, environmental future

Ruby Rosenberg
Arava Institute is one of many institutions paving the way to a future of Justice and peace in the Middle East.

The Arava Institute for Environmental Science is an institution committed to repairing the Middle East’s environmental and political climate through unity and collaboration. The Arava Institute has brought together over 1800 Palestinian, Jordanian, Israeli, and international students since 1996.

Arava states its mission on its website. “Here, the idea that nature knows no political borders is more than a belief. It is a fact, a curriculum, and a way of life.” 

The Arava Institute has numerous centers for research, each focusing on different facets of climate change. To name a few: 

• Center for Climate Change Policy and Research
    In recent years, the Middle East has been hotter than ever before. Extreme climate events such as sandstorms, floods, fires, drought, etc. have international repercussions, and in turn, must be addressed with multi-systemic and international actions. 
  • Center for Renewable Energy and Energy Conservation
    The Arava Institute’s location is in a region that yields high solar radiation levels and very specific climactic conditions. Because of this, the center can test various methods of energy conservation in desert settings. 
  • Center for Sustainable Agriculture
    This center is dedicated to the investigation and preservation of desert lands and their natural resources. This institution leads in botanical medicine, crop development, conservation, and sustainable agriculture. 
  • Center for Transboundary Water Management
    Water is a precious resource in the desert. This center focuses on building a platform for regional water professionals and policymakers to cooperate in water conservation, desalination, wastewater treatment, and education. By providing an open dialogue about water, Arava facilitates a future of water conservation and trust among people.

Arava Institute is one of many institutions paving the way to a future of Justice and peace in the Middle East. Arava focuses on an issue in the world that affects everyone. Solving the issue of Climate Change requires unity. Unity is a non-negotiable if you want to efficiently and adequately work towards a better future. Arava facilitates difficult conversations in a neutral space, as all participants are working towards the same goal. 

Here, the idea that nature knows no political borders is more than a belief. It is a fact, a curriculum, and a way of life.

— The Arava Institute for Environmental Science

As Americans, we can all learn a thing or two from our friends overseas. Instead of arguing for hours yet getting nowhere, establish a common goal first. This way, your former opponent transforms into your fellow team member. With this mindset, we can not only make debates turn into productive dialogues but also make seemingly impossible world issues easier to tackle. It requires a change in mindset, but perhaps we could help us come closer to achieving a world of unity and respect.