Students, staff give tips on how to adjust to college life

Ivan Shalaev

With college starting pretty soon for the Class of 2024, seniors will meet a lot of new people, professors, students, and others. With that being said, first impressions are everything.

Every time we step into a new environment, whether moving houses, getting a new job, joining a new club, or a new school, that change can be frightening, but it’s often for the better. Exploring the world whether 10, 100, or a thousand miles always makes us learn new things about the world as well as about ourselves. We meet a lot of new people along the way, and it’s important to be curious. College especially where you will often find people you will work with for sometimes the rest of your life, it’s important to be open whether it be to new experiences or new people. Many people go through college doing their classes and passing grades but not making their own projects or meeting people. 

While you can do that, and learn a lot academically, it often won’t land you jobs. Not to mention it’s just not as fun as college should be. After college you’re on your own so why spend it alone while you’re in college? 

Something that the school system does well is teach us the academic side of learning. But that’s not all life is about. It wouldn’t be life without people. While students are highly encouraged to collaborate on projects and work together all the time, it’s too often that you will find students working alone. Whether because they feel uncomfortable talking to others because of the class environment, or because there is simply a more comfortable option to work alone that is an easier choice for a lot of students.

Public speaking classes teach us to be confident presenting our ideas and oraganizing our thoughts, but it doesn’t teach you the social aspect of life. That comes naturally through simply talking with others over time. If students are constantly given the option to stay in their comfort zone and work alone, they will get in the habit of working alone and it will often become more difficult the longer they go through life.

Here’s some advice from a few teachers and students:

School Counselor Ms. Mielenz:

Any tips for college when it comes to people, not just academically?

Understanding that it takes time to make a solid friend group and get acclimated with the homework load/tests. I think that sometimes when something doesn’t meet our expectations right away, we want to give up and go back to what we are used to because that feels more comfortable. However, when you push through that discomfort or awkward feelings, you will find out more things about yourself and grow into the person you want to become! 

College & Career counselor Ms. Lee:

What should students be doing to have good first impressions with new students and especially professors and how does that affect their life during and after college?

I recommend students to branch out and connect with new people at whatever college they are attending.  College is a time to explore academically, but also socially.  My best advice for making a good first impression to professors is to attend all classes and be on time.  Don’t roll in late and just sit in the back of your classes.  If you’re in need of help, that’s what professor office hours are for.  And don’t be intimidated by professors; just talk to your professors whether you’re doing well or not.  They want to help you succeed in college.  How does this affect you during and after college?  As a college student, you learn to connect with people who are different from you (whether that be geographically, culturally, financially) and it opens up your thinking and mindset.  This will help you when you land your first job after college graduation and have to work with new people of all ages.

Senior Amanda Steiner:

Do you think high school does a good job of getting students socials skills prepared enough for college and adult life?

Yes, and no. I think it’s a very smart idea NN requires public speaking classes to force people out of their shells and give them that experience of talking to others. However, since many of the traditional cliques are so divided, it’s going to be interesting living in a space surrounded by so many people from other extracurricular and subject areas.

How do you feel about college and meeting new people?

I am worried, especially since I’m an only child who has always had a support system of neighbors and family friends. However, I am a relatively sociable person, so I hope to meet new friends in clubs and classes. I am admittedly an ambivert though, so I will have to take the initiative to invite others into conversations and social gatherings.

Senior Shan Ismail:

I’m honestly so nervous. Im going into film and meeting new people is going to be essential. I just have this worry that I won’t meet the right people. It’s hard to make new friends and I’m not going to know anyone. So I don’t know, it’s kinda scary.

Niles North Graduate, Freshman in college Greg Hernandez:

I think that if you take advantage of all your “social opportunities” and learn more about how you interact as a person and how other people are, then you’ll be set. But you have to put yourself out there and that does mean being put in uncomfortable situations. But it does pay off in experience in the end

My advice for the seniors going into college: Experiment! Get to know yourself more! As you take on different and new responsibilities, you find new facets of yourself that you never knew before. So put yourself out there and most importantly have fun!

Overall seniors, you should be proud of what you have accomplished and we wish you luck in your college years. Everyone is nervous, so you’re not alone. Finish the year strong and enjoy your last few weeks!