Speech team’s debut

Niles North introduced its first ever speech team, offered to all students. They travel to local competitions and have the chance to compete in 14 different speech categories which include acting, oratory, impromptu, poetry, political, and many others.

The Speech Team bravely competed in the Welcome to the Jungle tournament on Oct. 26. Barely having enough time to prepare, only four of the members entered the competition. Niles North was one of thirteen local schools who competed in this Novice tournament, hosted by Wheeling High School. This was the speech team’s very first competition, and the students were just as nervous and anxious as the coach.

There was success in the team’s first ever tournament, as each participating member got key advice to further develop their skills for the next competition. Freshman Josh Byster, impromptu speaker, took fourth place in the impromptu category at the Wheeling tournament. Each student performs 3-4 times throughout the day and the tension definitely eases later on.

“I felt mostly prepared, but nervous also. I thought I did pretty well. Once I went through the first round, I was much more relaxed.” Byster said.

The team’s next competition is in Mount Prospect on Nov 16. The team will be fully staffed, as 11 of the teams members plan on participating Saturday. The team feels prepared going into this tournament, as does English teacher and coach Megan Baskin.

Baskin brought new members to the team by adding students from her public speaking classes. They have been working before, during, and after school to perfect their speeches and vocal skills. The team is much more confident going into this tournament, as they now have some experienced members helping out those competing for the first time.

Keep an eye out for the results on the upcoming Mount Prospect Tournament.

Good luck to the Niles North Speech Team!