Relay for Life relays for three national awards

Three national awards were given to Relay for Life of Skokie, Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles (SLMGN) since it raised more than $90,000 in 2013.

Relay for Life was awarded the High School Per Capita Award which is given to the top five per capita collegiate and high school events. It also received the Team of Excellence Award for raising more than $50,000. Finally, last but not least, it was one of 19 events in the Lakeshore division to win the All American Relay Award which recognizes growth, retention, Relay branding, diversity and leadership.

“It feels amazing to know that we are taking Relay for Life in the right direction,” senior Jazib Gohar, president of Relay for Life at Niles North, said. To improve, Relay for Life of SLMGN has been working more closely with its American Cancer Society representative, Karina Ogawa, and has been implementing a new committee system where each committee is assigned to work on a project for the whole year.

“We are so excited this year since we are introducing new fundraising events. But all of that would not be possible if it wasn’t for our sponsors, Mr. Gary Chu from Niles North and Ms. Katie Odell and Mr. Michael Nocella from Niles West. They all work so hard and are determined to continue taking Relay in the right direction in the years to come,” Gohar said.