Niles North Islamic club presents Islamophobia

Islamophobia has been controverstial topic for many years. The American Muslim community has been unanimous in its repudiation of terrorism and religious extremism. Despite our condemnation of extremism and violence, hate-filled rhetoric and anti-Muslim attacks are putting the lives of American Muslims and their families in real danger.

“I am not afraid to be a muslim in America, but i’m afraid to be a human in this society where it is socially acceptable to generalize a group of people and to promote the bigotry they are faced with,” Bushra Amiwala, senior, said.

In his recent speech, President Obamaconcluded his statement against Islamophobia by saying, “Muslim Americans are our friends and neighbors, our coworkers, our sports heroes, and yes, they are our men and women in uniform who are willing to die in defense of our country. We have to remember that.”

Not only has effecting the nation it is also effecting the Skokie community. The Niles North Islamic club will be presenting Islamophobia in there annual forum on December 8, 2015.

“How can we eradicate the fear of Islam? By understanding that any individual that you hand pick from anywhere in the world will have different ideas and opinions than the next. All Muslims do not share the same opinions. Islam, a religion of peace and tranquility, promotes positivity and the grasping of equality between both followers and non-followers. Realizing that this statement is true brings us closer to the acceptance of all religions, not just Islam,” Abu-Bakr Malik, President of Islamic Club, said.

“Understanding that humans can only be evil, but the justifications to their actions are not, shows us that religion is utilized in different ways. However, what is apparent through the muslims students in our school and myself is the failure of influence from the extremist muslims. The positive role-models that we must take the role of being will help us face the preconceptions and prejudgement form today, and obliterate it for the world of tomorrow,” he added

Terrorism has no religion, and no one community should be singled out as being its source. To learn more about Islamophobia and how to help prevent it come to the Islamic Fourm on December 8, 2015 in the Student Commons.