RIOT club: Reaching out to the future

Have you ever felt a strong urge to figure something out? Have you ever felt the drive to research and learn about something new that nobody else knows? If you have, then you should join Researchers and Investigators of Tomorrow (RIOT) club.

RIOT is a research club that allows students to conduct an independent research project of any subject of interest, whether it is related to biology, astronomy, math, computer science, etc. The students are provided with all of the equipment necessary; however, they are expected to research and create a procedure on their own.

At the end of the year, the students are able to present their projects at symposiums and science fairs in hopes of getting an award.

The club is simply another way for students who wanted to conduct independent research but were not able to take STEM and Inquiry Research (SIRs) class.

This year, RIOT club will also be competing in short events and competitions to promote learning about science in different fields.

The club usually meets every other Friday at 3:40 p.m. in the SIRs room (2335). The next meeting is on Oct. 25 where a pumpkin carving contest will take place. Snacks will be provided!

For more information on RIOT club and how to become involved, contact sponsors of RIOT: Richard Thielsen, biology and SIRs teacher, at [email protected] and Christine Camel, Chemistry and SIRs teacher, at [email protected].