Calliope seeks student writing, art, photos

Do you want to get your creative work published? Then Calliope could be your ticket to fame.

The editors of Calliope, the Niles North student-published art and literary magazine, recently began the design process for the 2012 edition. They are avidly seeking student contributions to the new magazine. There is no time to rest on their laurels from last year.

Two weeks ago, the editors  learned that the 2011 issue of had received a First Place with Special Merit award from the American Scholastic Press Association (ASPA). Each year ASPA evaluates magazines from roughly 1,000 U.S. colleges, junior colleges, high schools and middle schools. The magazines earn points for content coverage, organization, design, presentation and creativity.

Out of the 1,000 points possible,  Kaleidoscope of Life, the North 2011 entry, scored 955, earning perfect scores in design, presentation and creativity. In the opinion of the reviewer, Kaleidoscope was “an outstanding overall example of a scholastic publication, in format, content and presentation.”

More than 45 Niles North writers, photographers and artists, representing each class level, contributed to Kaleidoscope. The front cover was drawn by Niles North graduate Amber Martin.  Student editors were: Krystine Hoang and Mara Joaquin, editors in chief; Sara Kaucher, associate editor; and Basil Alias, Rupal Desai, Michelle Jacob, Michelle Lin, Sara Morrison and Tricia Dacpano, assistant editors. Jacob, Lin, Morrison, Desai and Alias are on this year’s staff. English teachers Ivan Silverberg and Charles Pratt are Calliope faculty advisers.

Calliope’s 2012 issue will be organized and designed by mid-April and published in May,” says Desai. “During the next few weeks, we will be looking for student creative work in all areas of writing and art.”

Although North students have submitted a few texts and artworks, the editors need many more to fill this year’s issue. Calliope still needs poems, stories, plays, artwork and photography. Prospective contributors can place submissions in the Calliope boxes in the IRC and the Point or email them to [email protected].

You still have time to follow your muse, so get creative. And new editorial staff members are welcome. Calliope meets Tuesdays after school in room 1015 (the North Star newsroom). Join this week and become part of the Niles North arts and literary community.