C.E.C. Club: Changing students’ lives for the better

The Niles North C.E.C Club, or Council for Exceptional Students, is made up of students who care and want to learn more about students with disabilities. The goal of this club is to educate the students at Niles North High School, faculty, and community about students with disabilities. The motto of C.E.C Club is: “Knowledge leads to understanding and understanding leads to acceptance.”

The sponsors for C.E.C Club are Ms. Natalie Komo and Ms. Elizabeth Shay. Students are welcome to email either of the sponsors at [email protected] and [email protected] with any questions. The co-presidents of C.E.C Club are Robert Ference and Ghermawit Berhane and can also be contacted with any questions.

The C.E.C. Club basketball program allows students with disabilities at both Niles North and Niles West to be part of a team and compete in games and tournaments. There is annual contest between Niles North and Niles West at the Iris Kerbis Cantor Skokie Celebration Game held January 30 at Niles North High School. Last year, the Vikings won 42-38, but more importantly, this was a true Varsity game for the teams. They were able to play in the Main Gym and the stands were full of fans and supporters.

Students at both schools are also allowed to become peer coaches for the players on the basketball team or the cheerleading team affiliate. To become a peer coach, students must fill out a permission slip and submit a copy of a physical exam, along with being able to attend all practices. Anyone is welcome to sign up to be a peer coach and any questions may be directed to Mr. Ron Dornseif, the main sponsor of this amazing program.

Senior Ana Vancea has been a peer coach for the past two years and recounts the experience as something she was grateful to have gotten the opportunity to be involved in.

“CEC Basketball is one of the most rewarding activities I have been involved with. It not only allowed me to interact with students I don’t normally see on a daily basis, it’s also a lot of fun.” Vancea said.

C.E.C Club meets twice a month on Mondays at 3:30 p.m. in room 1410. Everyone is welcome to join!