Scholastic Art and Writing Awards recognizes the excellence of artists

This past week, Niles North High School was proud to recognize the artists who received more than 60 awards in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards competition. The Scholastic Art and Writing Awards competition, sponsored by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers, is an organization that identifies teens with exceptional literary and artistic talents. Founded in 1923, it became the nation’s longest-running, most prestigious recognition program for teenagers in the visual and literary arts. Notable artists that have won the competition include Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, and many more.

Teens in grades 7 through 12 are given the opportunity to be recognized for their creative styles of art, applying for almost 30 categories of art and writing for the chances of earning scholarships and having their works of art exhibited and published. Nearly 70,000 students are recognized each year on the regional level: students who receive Gold Keys advance to national adjudication.

“Overall, the experience of participating in the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards even was a blast. Being able to submit my artwork and earn an Honorable Mention is truly amazing, and I’m excited to compete in the competition next year,” Dhvani Shah, junior, said.

Gold Key winners achieve the highest level of recognition at the regional level, gaining the opportunity to have their work sent to compete on a national level for scholarships. Results for these opportunities will be announced later in March. Niles North artists that were recognized as Gold Key winners include: Mali Gorovoy, drawing/illustration; Sahar Steiner, painting; Hamid Ahmadi, photography; Mollie Chez, photography; Jasmin Warner, photography; Avalon Rosenberg, digital art; and more.

“I love the idea that I can create art for myself and have the opportunity to share it with others- winning an award is just a little bonus,” Mollie Chez, sophomore, said.

Along with Gold Key, students were awarded with a Silver Key, serving as artists who demonstrated a high level of achievement. Approximately seven to 10 percent of all regional submissions earn Silver Key awards. Silver Key winners include: Elena Ruiz, drawing/illustration; Diana Shliktova, drawing/illustration; Victoria Sorin, drawing/illustration; Jessica Badofsky, painting; Judith Tong, mixed media; Miriam Moss, ceramics/glass; Sheri Warner, digital art; Patrick Lentz, photography; and many more.

Students were given the Honorable Mention Award as they were recognized as students with artistic potential. Honorable Mention winners include: Kayla Cattouse-Cowans, photography; Elvis Kopcic, photography; Eli Chubin, mixed media; Tony Rayas, photography; Nathan Valencia, photography; Dhvani Shah, photography; Andrey Poloz, photography; and many more.

Niles North High School is beyond honored to show immense recognition to such a group of excellent, aspiring artists. Only time will tell for what the future artists have in store for next year’s competition.

Top Image: Mollie Chez