Stress throughout highschool

Ellie Henderson, North Life

Whether you’re a child, teen, or adult, stress often plays a big factor in many people’s lives. Stress is a feeling of emotional or physical tension. It can come from any event or thought that makes you feel frustrated, angry, or nervous.

Stress is your body’s reaction to a challenge or demand. Anxiety also plays a big part in stress. Anxiety is intense, excessive, and persistent worry and fear about everyday situations. Common symptoms of anxiety include feeling nervous, anxious, panic, heavy breathing, trouble sleeping, or worrying.

High school is known to be a very stressful time for many students. Both stress and anxiety can occur throughout the day and is a factor in life.  Simple tasks in everyday life can cause stress and anxiety. These tasks can include public speaking, taking tests, having conversations or being put under pressure.

Walking into your first day of high school you are faced with the worries and questions. Will I get lost? Will I be late to class? Will I make friends? Will I pass my classes? Will I have people I know in my classes? These are all questions that most freshmen ask themselves before their first day of high school. As you continue the path of high school you take your final exams, PSAT, SAT, or ACT,  US Constitution Test, and complete all graduation requirements.

All these questions and thoughts are normal to face in your four years of high school. If you ever feel overwhelmed or stressed you can go to the Student Services Department or reach out to the school’s social workers/psychologists. Niles North has three school social workers; Jennifer Silverman, Glen Sevier, and Melissa Mankoff. Dana Kantor, Kerry Powell, Benjamin Shabad, and Kimberly Bernadi are the four school psychologists.