S.T.O.P. comes together to confront prejudice

Did you know that despite peoples’ disapproval and prejudices against her, Elizabeth Blackwell successfully graduated medical college and became the first female doctor? This quick fact is brought to you by S.T.O.P, a new club here at Niles North.

One of the biggest focuses at North is eliminating prejudice from our school, and a new club on the rise is spreading the message to do just that.

S.T.O.P, which stands for Students Together Opposing Prejudice, is an emerging club founded by English teacher Jean Ordoñez. The club recognizes that prejudice comes in many forms, including race, ethnicity, religion, age, gender, sexuality, ability and economic status. It is a club for students to ask questions, discuss and listen to each other, challenge themselves, learn and heighten the awareness of their community in hopes to end prejudice.

“I have known the students at North to be a conscientious and compassionate group of individuals,” Ordoñez said. “Get them in a room with a purpose to inquire, learn and change and they can make positive things happen.”

S.T.O.P. held its first meeting on Tuesday, May 13 and it was a huge success. “Students came up with ideas to share facts about individuals who overcame prejudice in history with the school via the morning announcements,” Ordoñez said. In future meetings, the club hopes to start up a Facebook and Twitter account, discuss articles and bring in guest speakers. There has also been talk of going to national conferences which focus on student based efforts such as S.T.O.P.

The club also wants to host Havens in the future where students can feel safe discussing topics which they don’t usually feel comfortable or supported talking about.

S.T.O.P. will be holding their next meetings on May 20 and May 27 after school in room 1305. They are looking for general members, artists to make their logo, webmasters and committee leaders. Everyone is welcome, so they hope to see you all there!