Pizza Wars 4 makes much anticipated return

The District 219 Education Foundation for Excellence, with the assistance of the student organization Dance Marathon, will host its 4th annual Pizza Wars on Thursday, January 16th, 2014. Pizzerias in the Niles township area will compete against each other at the Foundation’s signature fundraiser, “Pizza Wars 4: May The Fourth Be With You”. After last year’s success, the event has been moved to the larger contest gym at Niles West High School. In 2013, Village Inn was crowned the winner.

Pizza tasting will begin at 6pm and end at 7:15pm. The trophy will be awarded at 7:30pm. Ticket prices are $12 per person, $40 for a family of 4, and $15 per person at the door. The evening will also feature live entertainment from Niles West and North student bands, face painting and a strolling magician. Tickets may be purchased on the Foundation’s website at www.219foundation.org or may be purchased from the members of the executive board of Dance Marathon at both Niles North and Niles West.

Last year, over 850 people tasted pizza samples from over 13 of the township’s pizzerias. The Education Foundation met their goal, raising over $8,500. For Pizza Wars 4, the Education Foundation has set a goal of $10,000. All funds raised will be used to benefit the students of District 219.

Quynh Nguyen, senior at Niles North High School, had only positive memories with regards to last year’s Pizza Wars. “It was a really fun experience because it involved three great things: friends, pizza, and entertainment. Knowing that I was contributing to an amazing cause was just icing on the cake.”

Since 2007, the Foundation has awarded more than $135,000 in grants in the form of graphing calculators, computers, AP testing, college entrance exams, community college scholarships, and college campus bus tours for students. More recently, the Foundation has also been providing school supplies and breakfast bars to students in need.

Please visit the District 219 website at www.219foundation.org for more information, or to purchase tickets for Pizza Wars 4.