The Insider: Board of Education November meeting

On Nov. 18, District 219 board of Education (BOE) had a meeting. Here are the notes from the meeting.

Vistors:
  • Dr. Raymond Paul-professor at university of Illinois. He recently saw the schools’ performance on the tribune. He has three kids who are Niles North Alumnus. He is sad at the fact that the performance has not gotten better even though the taxes has gotten higher. Our social economic status are very similar to other schools, however, they always outperform us while spending less per student. He wants the school to self-evaluate and maybe create a school within our school to teach those under performing students in a longer period of time. He also asked the board what they have done to improve performance.
  • ANSWER TO Dr. PAUL: Silverman, president of BOE, responded saying with assurance that the BOE self-evaluated every year with the annual review of programs. Unfortunately though, circumstances are constantly changing and we continuously have to adapt which is some times very difficult. However, Greenspan was offended due to Dr. Paul’s use of other schools as an example since their “curves have not improved either.”
  • Pankaj Sharma, President of NTFT, and a representative on behalf of the nurses and the psychologists also spoke. They supported the school based health clinic but were concerned about bringing an outside service. They believe that both schools have great personnel of nurses, psychologists and social workers who can provide the same service for a cheaper price. Also, the existing personnel are committed and actually care about the students, unlike the outside services who will simply be looking for a “better job.” They believe that the BOE should pass the clinic with an amendment that can be changed later. Also, despite the BOE claims, staffing for Niles North and West for psychologist and social workers is lower than average in comparison to other schools.
New Business:
  • AS&T: 
    • Automotive sequence –> industry certification, year long instead of semesters and dual credit from certain colleges. Classes will alternate every year to avoid not having enough enrollment.  
    • Childhood classes are being renamed to align with Oakton Community College so students can receive dual credit and industry certification.
    • Broadcasting camp: broadcasting classes will possibly be offered during the summer
  • Fine Arts:
    • New course: AP Digital photo. Tremendous growth in digital growth –> A year-long 2D advanced design course will be introduced to allow students to prepare their portfolio. The following year,  AP 2D design course will be introduced to allow them to meet Collegeboard criteria and continue preparing their portfolio. These classes will only be staffed if they have enrollment of 20 or more students. 
  • Math:
    • Course title changes: Functional Pre-Calculus, Math Analysis, and Pre-Calculus will be renamed Pre-calculus. They will simply have different levels: regular, advanced and honors. Additionally, Introduction to Calculus will be called Calculus.  
  • Science: 
    • Honors physics will be replaced by AP physics 1. Collegeboard recognized that AP Physics B covered a lot of information. Both schools only currently offer AP Physics C, but since Collegeboard will be dividing AP physics B’s topics covered into 1 & 2, the school has decided to offer AP Physics 1 instead of Honors physics.
  • History: 
    • Global studies is changed to modern world history for 2014-2015 entering freshmen. Modern world history covers more regions and narrows the timeline studied. It will mirror the AP world history course. The deadline for this course to be fully developed before the summer, so it can be offered during summer school. 
    • AP government and politics course will be introduced. It will only be offered to juniors and seniors. Sophomores will be able to take this course with AP world history teacher recommendation.
    •  Western civilization will be replaced with a year long civics class. Meanwhile, honors western civilization will no longer be offered. 

2013 Estimated Tax Levy:

Freeze on the tax levy (second year in a row). Tax levy for the operating component will be increased (4.9% increase) to catch any property for the district and to gain the compounding effect. Decreasing the bottom interest (bonded interest levy) tax. Opposite of last year. Overall, it will be “frozen” from last year. There will not be a public hearing since they are not increasing overall tax levy.

The school day, annual review of programs and 2015-2019 strategic plan are still being discussed.