Baltimore bridge collapses after collision with cargo ship

Baltimore bridge collapse has dockworkers in fear for their future.
image attributed to abc news

On March 26, the Baltimore Bridge collapsed after a cargo ship collided with it. Around 10 people were killed, with some bodies still missing.

There were six deaths in the bodies that were recovered. Still, many bodies have not been recovered, and remain in the debris. Authorities are not allowing people to find the rest of the bodies due to the debris the bridge has left in the water. Divers are not even allowed to go see the debris as the water is toxic and has been deemed ‘hazardous’. 

To recover the missing people, the bridge first has to be taken apart and the water has to be cleaned up. 

Many bridges have suffered the same fate as the Baltimore Bridge. The Quebec Bridge in 1907, also had the same truss structure as the Baltimore Bridge. The Quebec Bridge learned from its fatal flaw and started to rebuild. The flaw being, lacking an experienced chief engineer, and inefficient supervision of the bridge. The Baltimore Bridge catastrophe is a wake-up call to infrastructure engineers in the US. 

The bridge fell after a cargo ship lost power and crashed into the bridge. The captain could not control the ship and hit one of the bridge’s piers causing it to collapse. 

Experts have different thoughts about why the bridge collapsed. Some believe not only did the cargo ship crash but sparks at the top of the bridge caused the total collapse. Other experts think the ship hit the main support of the structure of the bridge. 

Many investigations are going on based on the bridge structure and how one cargo is the cause of it.