New aquatics facility earns IASB merit award

Niles North High School is scheduled to receive an award of merit for excellence in educational environmental design from the Illinois Association of School Boards (IASB). The presentation will be held on Friday, Nov. 22 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 23 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Sunday, Nov. 24 from 8:00 to 10:00 a.m at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago.

“It feels great to know that our school district continues to lead the state and nation when it comes to building sustainable, environmentally friendly and energy efficient facilities,” Principal Ryan McTague said. “We should all be very proud of the example our school is setting for educational institutions and communities throughout our nation.”

The award being received is one of 18 granted to schools in Illinois.

The winning projects meet these set program requirements:

• Creates versatility to host physical education courses, competitions and community programs
  • Achieves flexibility for diverse swimming and diving activities
  • Visually connects existing pool and new pool
  • Involves the community and students in the design and building process
  • Maximizes safety and storage
  • Engages students and spectators in athletic activities
  • Sets a sustainable design standard for aquatic facilities
  • Achieves ADA compliance within the existing pool and adjacent gymnasium spaces
The new aquatics center also meets new standards for sustainability. In terms of lighting, there are daylight harvesting sytems, lighting controls, occupancy sensors, and LED fixtures. The heat recovery dehumidifying units reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 65%. The water efficient systems, such as electronic water coolers, low flowing plumbing fixtures, shower controls and water bottle fillers, reduce water use by 42% compared to a standard facility of similar size.
There are high reflecting roofing and pavement materials to reduce the heat island effect and the demand on mechanical systems and the new pool is designed to accommodate future solar panels on the gymnasium roof. Also, 85.4% of all construction material was recycled.
To learn more about the award, visit the High School Aquatics Center Expansion Narrative and the IASB Congratulatory Letter.