W.H.O. is that club? Yes, it’s W.H.O. club!

W.H.O club is a student- and teacher-run community service organization and social justice club that confronts issues that affect our local community and school, hence the name “W.H.O.,” which stands for We Help Others.

W.H.O. club meets every Wednesday after school to bring together students who want to serve the community and want to help with modern social issues, fight for social justice and just aid others in our community and around the world.

It frequently has out-of-school speakers, such as the one on October 2nd, who was an independent documentary filmmaker. Her topics of discussion were Native American and environmental issues. She spent a lot of time at the Pine Ridge reservation studying the people and how they are treated. She went to a couple other reservations and found out that some of their water supplies are contaminated with uranium. She also made a video about tribal sovereignty and treatment of Native Americans on these reservations. Ultimately, she wants to raise awareness for these major issues in order to make their lives better.

The club visits soup kitchens in evanston regularly every week, charity events like charity walks, and retirement/nursing homes, etc.. W.H.O. club frequently hosts food, blanket and clothing drives to help expand their reach to other communities or even to other countries. Every meeting has something new to get involved with.

W.H.O. club is the collection of most dedicated people in the school; they are truly care about others. People who join W.H.O. Club should have a general interest in charities, foreign affairs, politics and be willing to help everyone. As Pankaj Sharma, one of the sponsors of W.H.O. club and Dance Marathon, said, “W.H.O. club is my favorite time to be in Niles North. All the positive people that come weekly make the meetings so special. Any student who wants to be around positive and caring people should come to W.H.O. club.”

Everyone is welcome to join. They meet every Wednesday in room 1100 at 3:30 p.m. For more information, contact Sharma or James Haberl, English teacher and co-sponsor of W.H.O. club and Dance Marathon.