Skokie comes together for Korean culture celebration

Coming Together in Skokie (CTIS) is a community wide event that celebrates the culture, literature, and ethnic diversity of Niles Township. This year the Korean culture is being featured in CTIS. The opening ceremony for CTIS is Sunday, Jan. 26 at Niles West High School.

Skokie Public Library, Village of Skokie, Skokie Park District, Oakton Community College, D219, the local chambers of commerce, as well as the Lincolnwood, Morton Grove and Niles Public Libraries are all participating in CTIS.

A big part of CTIS is reading a featured book about the Korean culture. The book this year is “Everything Asian,” by Sung J. Woo. Sung J. Woo will be visiting Niles North and Niles West to talk about the book once CTIS starts.

Korean culture has a large presence in the Skokie community. Korean is one of the five most popular languages in Niles Township.

Jim Szczepaniak, Niles North’s Community Relations Director, said,”Thanks to CTIS, District 219 has established close working partnerships with the Indian, Filipino, Assyrian and Greek communities… and I’m confident we will also develop strong relationships with new people from the Korean community.”

The Korean Clubs at Niles North and Niles West are working together to make this event memorable. They will take part in the CTIS opening ceremony and plan Korean days in their information resource centers (the school libraries).

Szczepaniak said, “Students who have participated in past CTIS events have told us that they are very proud to have students and teachers at our schools learn more about their culture, thanks to CTIS events.”