Vikings stun Oak Lawn in football season opener

On Friday night (Aug. 24), varsity quarterback Billy Voitik  led the Vikings to a big win over number two rival (to West) the Oak Lawn Spartans, with a score of 33-24.

Varsity reigned victorious, but the underclassmen lettermen should not be overlooked. The team showed lots of potential  Friday with plays like those of sophomore kick off returner George Brandon, who made a 74-yard return, just missing the end zone and ending the play at first and goal.

New head coach Mark Egofske has certainly left a good impression with North students, leading the boys in purple to a home opener win. Keeping a steady stride against the Spartans, the Vikings were able to stay composed and keep the lead for most of the game. The Spartans were able to catch up and match the Viking points for a few downs, but not enough times to go home champions.

The Viking offense, led by Voitik, has shaped up from previous years, and eight8 of his 20 attempted passes were completed. With only two interceptions, Voitik made North and his teammates proud. The Viking defense proved themselves Friday as well by protecting Voitik and stopping the Spartans in their tracks as they attempted to score.

Clearly, the Central Suburban League has something to worry about. Watch out for the Vikings, Illinois; they’re coming.

http://www.cslinsider.com/news/voitikmakestriumphantreturninnilesnorthsopener.aspx?