Coed Cheer brings home CSL Championship

“cham·pi·on: a person who has defeated or surpassed all rivals in a competition, especially in sports.”

Over the past four years in Niles North history, the varsity coed cheer team has done a numerous amount of outstanding things, one of which pertains to the CSL Conference Championship. The legacy began back in the 2012-2013 school year.

On Thursday, January 14, the cheer team brought home the first place trophy for the fourth consecutive year. The championship took place at Maine West.

“It’s the best feeling. It finally clicks that all your hard work is worth it. You’re so filled with adrenaline that you’re shaking and it’s the most amazing thing. I wish I could live it over and over again,” says Kelly Colleran, junior and captain this year.

The routine contains high flying baskets, intense tumbling and a very fierce dance. The team has very high goals this year and has been working on everything they can do get to reach and accomplish their goals. The team has improved immensely since the summer and continues to strive to get better.

“I’ve never felt so happy. All I did was Old Orchard cheer and now I’m on Varsity cheer, carrying on one of the biggest legacies at Niles North. It’s such an indescribable feeling and being a freshman makes it all the better because I have 3 more years to do the same exact thing again,” says Maggie Dygola, freshman.

Some important dates that you should mark in your calendars so you can come out and support the vikings are:

January 24: Huntley High School Invitational (Team performs at 5:24 PM)

January 30: Sectionals @ Lake Zurich High School (Team performs at 4:34 PM)

February 5-6: STATE (TBA)

Photo Credits: David Chua