Varsity cheer aims to take home a 3-peat

On Thursday, January 15, the Niles North varisty co-ed cheerleading team will be competing at their much-anticipated conference match-up. The feat will take place in Maine East High School’s main gym, opening at 7:00 p.m., all leading up to the Vikings’ fierce performance at 7:29 p.m.

The team has taken home the championship for the past two years, and they’re hoping for this year to be no different. With tomorrow being a potential 3-peat, the bar for this year’s season has been set high since the beginning.”We had to get physically strong, but also mentally strong,” senior Gabe Elizer said. Ever since summer vacation, the team has been working on conditioning and perfecting their technique alongside Kentucky cheerleaders.

I can’t give away too much about the upcoming routine, but let’s just say that it’s full of high-flying stunts, intense tumbling, and an extremely well-choreographed dance.

“We’ve been working really hard all season long,” head coach Aleka Landon said. “Hopefully our next goal will be to get an even better routine than this one so that we can make it to state and show everybody what we’ve got there.”

Admission is $3 for adults and $2 for youth and students. Come out and watch the cheerleaders as they make history with a 3-peat conference championship!