SAGA to add new segment, “Humans of Niles North”

Every person in the world has some story that defines who they are. Whether it is bad, good, inspiring, or motivating, humans of the world each hold something special to share.

The Niles North yearbook production, SAGA, will be introducing a new segment, Humans of Niles North, to share different people’s stories with the school. This is a great way to know our school community and interact with other stories.

“Niles North is a particularly diverse community, not just in terms of culture and ethnicity, but also in experience as well. This is an attempt to bring some of those lesser-known aspects of our students and faculty to light.  As a yearbook staff, we are always trying to avoid cliches and bring real, substantive coverage to our school. When you walk down the hallway, there are so many people that you only see the surface of. Humans of Niles North is an attempt to get beneath that surface, in the subjects’ own words,” English teacher and yearbook sponsor Renee Scott said.

“It’s basically a double-page spread featuring interesting portraits of the featured students and teachers, as well as direct quotes. We worked as a staff to come up with interesting, open-ended questions that would bring out a hidden side of the interviewees, and then we decided which quotes seemed to tell the best story about each of these individuals. We hope that our readers will learn something new about their fellow humans of Niles North,” she added.

“I believe everyone has something valuable to offer and especially when we have such a diversity of students at our school. This is great way to know other people,” junior Pragna Bhatt said.

“Humans of Niles North is a great way for students and staff to learn about each other in ways that they might not already. We are focusing on people in the school who may have a cool thing that they do outside or inside of school and/or have a unique thing about them that most people don’t know about,” junior Nora Gaul said.

If you want to have your story featured on the page, please contact Ms. Renee Scott at [email protected].

Be the voice and the Vikings you want people to know.