Student Activities director Monahan resigns, returns to his roots

These last few days of school will also be Kevin Monahan’s last days as director of  Student Activities;  he will be moving back to his hometown.

“I always knew that I would return to central Illinois at some point and now is the right time,” Monahan said. “I want to go back and work with my dad and be a part of the community back home.”

He will be working in his small family company in the broom and mop industry and helping his father. Monahan says that he will probably move to Champaign, but notes that his hometown is Arcola, pop. 3,000. “That’s where I grew up, and went to high school,” he said. “All my friends are there, my parents and some of my siblings. My heart has always been back home so it will be exciting to go back.”

Despite making this decision at the beginning of the year, Monahan stayed true to the job and finished strong.

Monahan admits that his decision to leave after eight years wasn’t easy. “I’ve been really fortunate during my time here, not just because of the students and the teachers but Niles North itself. It’s a great school and I have grown to love Skokie.  I always try to tell people how great it is.”

He is going to miss most the equal interactions with the students, teachers and other administrators.

“Mr. Monahan will be greatly missed. [He] was always around helping the clubs and stopping by to make sure they are all successful,”junior Irene Cho said. “Although I am really sad that he is leaving and I wish he would stay at North, I’m happy for him, wish him good luck with his new career path and thank him for being such an amazing student activities director.”

As a goodbye will, Monahan “[is] leaving the best group of sponsors, [his] secretary, Eleni Andritsakis, a big surprise for next year, and the department of  Student Activities to the students.”

He also wanted to leave to his students his last words: “Go Vikings!”