2013 Teacher of the Year: Debora Meyer

On the morning of May 9, students and faculty members gathered for a breakfast celebration to unveil the much awaited decision regarding Teacher of the Year (TOTY).  After weeks of combing through nominations sent in by students, the Niles North Student Government selected Debora Meyer,  an Applied Sciences teacher as the 2013 winner.

“I was amazed.  There are so many incredible teachers in this building, so even to be picked to be one of the nominees was an honor,” Meyer said.

After 19 years at North, and still counting, Meyer has proved to have a profound impact on her students.

“No one is more deserving of this award than Mrs. Meyer.  She is not only a teacher, she’s a mentor.  I look up to her.  Because of her, I know what I want to be for the rest of my life.  She’s helped me become the teacher I am today, and the teacher I will be tomorrow,” senior child development student Sarah Hampton said.

The release of the news brought tears to Meyer’s eyes as the tremendous accomplishment  set in.  “Students are your clients when you do this, they’re the people you work for, that’s who you want to please, so to be honored like this by them is huge,” Meyer said.

Students in Meyer’s Child Development class made the day even more special as they gathered the Little Vikes to help celebrate the victory.

“When I walked in they said, ‘Congratulations, Mrs. Debbie!’ and then they yelled, ‘Group hug!’ and all the little kids swarmed around me,” Meyer said.

Next on the Meyer’s  agenda is writing her speech for the Awards Assembly, a duty all TOTYs must tend to.  Although the rest of the future may be uncertain, there is no doubt Meyer will continue to inspire and motivate her students through her guidance and teaching for the rest of her years here at North.

Congratulations, Mrs. Meyer!