District 219 Board of Education announces new Superintendent

Thomas Moore has been selected as the next D219 superintendent.

West Hartford News

Mr. Thomas Moore, Superintendent of West Hartford Public Schools in West Hartford, Connecticut, will assume the role of Superintendent of Niles Township High School District 219 in July after the District 219 Board of Education approved the contract at tonight’s Special Board meeting. The Superintendent search was a result of the retirement of current superintendent, Dr. Steven Isoye.

Moore brings significant experience and leadership in education. Moore started his teaching career in West Hartford Public Schools in 1996 as a history and social studies teacher. He was promoted to Department Supervisor in 2005, became the Conard High School principal in 2007, and the Assistant Superintendent of Administration in 2010.

In 2014, Moore was named Superintendent of the district and oversees all levels with 9400 students, 1700 staff members, and 17 school sites in a diverse community that values education. The school district is represented by 76 different home languages.

Moore was recently honored at the American Association of School Administrators’ National Conference on Education as the 2022 Connecticut Superintendent of the Year. The criteria for Superintendent of the Year are leadership, communication, professionalism, and community involvement. Additionally, Moore is currently serving as the Vice-Chair for the College Board of Trustees.

His selection is the culmination of a months-long national search process by the Board of Education, assisted by Hazard, Young, Attea, & Associates (HYA), that produced 34 applicants from diverse geographic and professional backgrounds, including 11 from outside of Illinois.

“I am thrilled to be the next superintendent of District 219. Truthfully, I never imagined leaving West Hartford, and never had applied anywhere else. When I learned about District 219, however, and was told about the community, and how much I would love the students and families there, I became intrigued. It takes a very special place for me to leave New England behind, but my family is so excited to begin this next challenge with all of you. I am passionate about what we owe our future generations in this country, and I will work tirelessly so that District 219 will always be an example of what is right, and what is possible, in American public education.” – Mr. Thomas Moore

“I am thrilled that Tom chose us.  I am confident his demonstrated leadership skills and passion to serve all students will guide his success at District 219.” – Ms. Naema Abraham, D219 Board President

Moore is the youngest of seven children, whose father modeled a strong work ethic after serving as a plumber for many years. His wife, Tara, is also an educator who is currently teaching kindergarten. Moore and his wife have two children. Jack is a senior at UNC Chapel Hill and his daughter, Fallon, is finishing her second year at the University of Virginia. The couple will be relocating to the Chicago area this summer.

*Announcement prepared by Hazard, Young, Attea, & Associates (HYA)