Veteran band teacher Eisele marches out and onward

After 29 years at Niles North, Elton Eisele, the school’s director of bands, is preparing for a retirement that promises to be as active as his long career of teaching young musicians.Under Eisele’s direction, the Niles North bands have won scores of awards, all proudly displayed in the large trophy case inside the band room and on the wall just outside it. Eisele graduated from Arkansas Tech University in 1976. He taught music and coached sports at several Illinois schools for seven years before he started started at Niles North. Eisele is known for his generous nature. He goes out of his way to make band members feel welcome in the band room at all times. During lunch periods and study halls band students can hang out in the band room, taking advantage of two comfortable couches there. “Mr. Eisele makes the band room a home away from home,” Lucas Rosario, senior saxophone player and band staff president, said.Eisele is adept at all the instruments his students play, but the tuba is his favorite instrument.Eisele is a strong believer in the use of analogies in the classroom. He often references everyday actions, such as driving, speaking, even sports. One example, used to caution musicians about holding a note too long” You don’t slam on the brakes after you’ve hit the wall, do you?
“Using analogies during rehearsal helps get a point across,” Eisele explains. “They provide better insight to an art form.”During rehearsal, Eisele emphasizes the emotional aspect of music, a constant reminder of his dedication to the art. He says that his primary goal is helping his students to improve as musicians.

Eisele also endeavors to make his students better leaders. He teaches a conducting class to volunteer band students, instructing them to communicate the emotion of music through the wave of a baton. “He helps us to be confident in ourselves, and he gives us constructive criticism,” Christina Curtis, a freshman flutist and student conductor-in-training, said.

After he retires from teaching band, Eisele plans to return to another passion: aviation. He will work full-time as a private flight instructor.

Even in retirement, Eisele will continue to fly high.

JONATHAN SABIN, Class of 2012 and winner of the Band Departmental Award, contributed this article.
PHOTO BY JACOB KAUFMAN