Boys gymnastics finishes 2nd in conference, sends three to State

The Niles North varsity boys gymnastics team impressed the whole Central Suburban League by placing second overall in conference. What is a strong team, without a powerful leader like our very own Mendel Moskovits? It isn’t one, and that’s why Moskovits was able to place eighth all-around at the recent John Cress Invite that was held at Niles North.

Moskovits toughed out a sore back and a pounding headache to place in this invitational. His overall score of (41.00) complemented his placement of third on high bar (7.6) and sixth on parallel bars (7.8). In other events he finished ninth on rings (6.4), 12th on floor (8.2), 19th on vault (7.7) and 25th on pommel horse (3.3). His performance was quite impressive in consideration of his ill state. His perseverance and will to fight through the pain made a great impression on the team, commented head coach Richard Meyer.

“He’s (Moskovits) a senior and true leader. The kids look up to him and sometimes I don’t know if he knows how much of a leader he really is. He loves the sport and that rubs off on the kids,” Meyer said.

Moskovits’ devotion and compassion for the sport have set a great example and will be carried on through the generations of Viking gymnasts, as the potential of the younger athletes is apparent. Newcomer to the varsity Level Scott Wong (sophomore), and varsity veteran Dhwal Gheewala (junior) finished with state qualifying scores in the conference meet.

“If Gheewala and Wong continue with strong performances they definitely have an opportunity to actually qualify for the state meet,” says Meyer.

During their conference season the squad won 3 conference meets, and lost three, breaking even. Overall the team took five meets from their competitors, but lost 4, finishing one meet over .500. Sectionals will be held today in Frankfort, Illinois at Lincoln-Way East high school. If the Vikings are victorious and qualify for state, then they will move on in the competition.

Update: Moskovits, Gheewala and Wong all qualified for State.