Vikings set to receive new upgrades

As just about everyone knows, Niles North has just built a brand new pool for the aquatics dept. right next to the field house. This addition was part of the school’s new 5 year capital plan to help upgrade our school’s facilities. The total estimated cost is around $100 million and is set to make our school one of the most modern and technologically advanced high schools in all of Illinois.

Some of the more notable things that will be included in this 5 year capital plan are:

– Brand new cafeteria, access for class use, updated food line and more space, possibly a stage as well.

– Improved courtyards to increase usable space

– Changes to the athletic hallways

– Science labs will be made into state of the art facilities

– New windows throughout the school to increase the use of natural lighting.

The main idea behind upgrading and replacing a lot of the school’s main areas is to increase space in order to enjoy things such as lunch and althetics more as well as to allow the use of the new space for classroom activities and clubs. The board of education wants every student to be in an environment that mimics that of a college campus because it gives them a more realistic view of what is to come after high school, and betters their overall experience at d219 schools.

Niles North was originally a 4 part building that wasn’t connected at all. It was built for fewer students than it has now, but with constant upgrades and additions it has grown to accommodate over 3,000. Niles North has been keeping up with the demands of a more technologically based group of students. They have given out Netbooks and Chromebooks starting with the class of 2014, and will continue to do so into the future with rumors of supposed tablets coming into play soon.

Niles North will continue to work with the community and students in order to make the experience here at Niles North a more realistic and modern one. Niles North has and will continue to be the most modern of schools in Illinois and is doing its best to set examples for other schools. Look forward to some really awesome things happening VERY soon!