Niles North wins big at German High School Day

Niles+North+wins+big+at+German+High+School+Day+

Niles North High School’s german students competed in the German High School Day held at University of Illinois at Chicago, bringing home trophies in 3 out of the 4 categories they competed in.

In the City Guide category, reserved for first year students, freshmen Tarik Medzikovic, Jonathon Redmann, and Melissa Doyiakos competed. Doyiakos won second place for her City Guide of Munich, Germany.

The students who participated in the Spelling Bee were freshman Henry Toth, who placed second, and junior Daivik Patel both competed.

Another category that Niles North students competed in was Poetry, in which students recite published german poems. Juniors Katharine Andrew and Sarah Stauber both competed in this.

Finally, Niles North brought home the first place trophy in the most popular category: the Skit. Niles North students sophomore Ambrina Syed, senior Ilyas Taraki, senior Emma Eschker, junior Patricia Griffin, senior AJ Bunag, and senior James Edmond all participated in the student-written skit. The skit was titled “Onkel Peter Babysittet die Kinder.” The skit was adapted off of the German Struwwelpeter stories that teach responsibility and rules to young children. Niles North has a reputation of doing well in the skit category.