Chess team checkmates to open their season

Niles North’s chess team has a reputation to uphold. After winning first place in several state championships and a handful of top ten trophies in the past ten years, the team has a lot to live up to.

Since their last state championship in 2012, the team has shifted to being made up of almost completely new members. Since some of the team’s strongest players have graduated, members have had to change their past strategy of having a couple really strong players at the top to a more balanced lineup throughout.

The team’s first tournament took place on Oct. 26 at Bloom High School in Chicago Heights. After a grueling five rounds, Niles North came out on top, winning first place.

“I was a little bit nervous because we lost some strong players,” said head coach Harry Kyriazes. “… until we won this tournament. It knocked my socks off at how good the team has gotten. They’re much better than I expected.”

Under Kyriazes’ leadership, the team has achieved great success. Over the past ten years, they’ve won three state championships and several second and third place trophies.

In terms of practice, the team trains five days a week. “We work on puzzles and common themes that come up in games,” said sophomore and captain Lyle Rubin.

“The relaxed atmosphere and the ping pong keeps people interested, and the camaraderie builds the team,” said Kyriazes.

Although they have done very well at the IHSA state championships in the past, the competition is proving to be tough this year since the team is so young.

“I’m hoping to get top ten. Last year I thought we did very well with fifth place,” Kyriazes said.

The season officially begins on Friday, Nov. 1 with a meet against Northridge Prep.

The team is always looking for new players, no matter their experience or skill level. If you’re interested in joining the chess team, come to room 2355 any day after school.