A look inside athletics: Janine Moore

Niles North is lucky to have Janine Moore step in as the Assistant Athletic Director after years of experience in different fields.

Moore attended East Chicago Central High School and played four sports while she was there: volleyball, basketball, softball and track & field. Her senior year basketball team was ranked #1 in the nation. In college, she played women’s basketball at the University of Evansville and was team captain of the first team to go to the NCAA Division I tournament in school history.

Before coming to North, Moore served as the athletic director at the Chicago Waldorf School. Before working at Waldorf, Moore was a park supervisor for the Chicago Park District at a Lakefront facility and a Women’s Division 1 coach at Loyola University, Indiana University and the University of Michigan.

Moore is excited about being “a part of the continued growth in the Niles North athletic department,” especially the growth of women’s athletics.

“I am a strong believer in athletics serving as a tool to instill self-esteem, positive body image and healthy habits for young women as they grow to be strong, confident leaders,” Moore says.

Moore manages the schedules for all 24 sports at Niles North. She works closely with the coaches and other staff members to make sure all logistics are in place in order to “provide a top-notch athletics experience for our students and the community.” She supervises North’s sporting events, making sure that our students, coaches and fans are always representing the Niles North way in “a positive and appropriate manner.”  She coordinates special events and meetings for the teams. “I also mentor our coaches, and work closely with the Athletic Leadership Council, student photographers and the Student Activities Department,” Moore says. “There is lots of other administrative work that goes into my job, but I won’t bore you with the details.”

Moore expects that all of North’s teams show continued progress on the courts and fields but especially in the classroom. She would also like to see increased participation in athletics from our student body.

“It’s not just a game,” Moore said. “It is a lifestyle that promotes healthy habits, time management skills, collaborative work, strong work ethic, confidence, goal setting and discipline, to name a few.”