D219 students rally for Relay for Life

With the momentum still going strong from last week’s Dance Marathon, North prepares to keep on giving with the annual Relay for Life event.  Held June 7 at Niles West High School, starting at 6 p.m. D219 students will gather together in support of the American Cancer Society as well as cancer survivors while celebrating their fundraising efforts.  The event will last until 6 a.m. Saturday, June 8.

Over the past 10 years, North and West students together have helped raise more than $1 million through Relay for Life.  Adding to the contribution with yet another dedicated effort this year, the funds will be counted as students, sponsors and community members walk the West track in honor of the fight against cancer.  The first lap, also known as the “survivor lap” is an especially moving tradition, and is walked by cancer  survivors and their caregivers.

“I had relatives who had cancer and overcame it, so it’s really important for me to help people who are fighting against it.  The energy when your’e surrounded by people who are fighting for the same thing puts you in a really good mood,” student Emily Khek said.

Entertainment for the night includes a teacher band, Auroris Dance Company, Orchesis Dance Company, Break Beatz, Echo Effect, High Fidelity and Guys ‘n’ Dolls.

It’s never too late to sign up!  Join a team at www.relayforlife.org; the average fundraising goal for each team is $100.