Science teacher Asaro to put down the test tubes, pick up his guitar

Science teacher Joesph Asaro, is retiring this year after teaching for 22 years at Niles North.

After graduating from Loyola University in 1976 Asaro became a medical technologist at Cook County Hospital. He began teaching at Niles North after his “mid-life crisis” and continued teaching for more than two decades.

Over the course of his teaching career Asaro has taught Bio 13, Chem 10-20, ELL Physical Science, and ELL Bio 13. According to Asaro the school has changed a lot over the years he has been here. Not only has the building changed but the students’ attitudes and sense of accountability have changed also. “I think the students have changed as far as attitude goes. I think that when I started, the students that I had typically wanted to learn, were more respectful in class,” Asaro says.

Over the course of his years at Niles North Asaro has collected many memories of his students and the faculty. One of his most profound memories is when a student came to visit him after graduation.

“One of my students came in after graduating and said that everything that I told her about what would happen when she graduated came true. She was pleased by her progress and that I had recognized her talents and told her that she’d do very well. I think that’s the best, the best kind of moment for a teacher.”

Not only has he impacted students during his teaching career but the students and teaching have impacted him.

“Well, it has brought up the quality of my life, because I’ve had to learn. It’s also helped me focus professionally and it’s also helped me understand a little more of the adolescent mind; sometimes I don’t understand it.” Asaro says.

As he leaves Niles North Asaro notes that he will be leaving behind a great group of faculty who have helped progress and push him professionally. He says he will miss that challenge and support the most.

In retirement Asaro, a talented musician, wants to write music, play guitar, perform and possibly go back to school and learn another language.

Asaro leaves the students and faculty at Niles North with these words, “Stay positive, stay focused, stay strong.”