NN Black Staff Spotlight

It is so important to highlight the work our Black staff and teachers do here at school and the impact they have on our community. And just one of many Black educators here at Niles North is John Bias who is a Special Education paraprofessional who continues to be a leader for many to look up to.

How long have you been working at Niles North?

“8 years”

What is your favorite moment you have shared with a student? 

“One of my responsibilities is sponsoring NOTICE. While in NOTICE, we started the “WHO AM I” initiative. Working with all the students in Dream and NOTICE. on that program was the most inspirational moment I have shared with the students at Niles North.”

*NOTICE is an African American male club mentoring group designed to focus on the foundations and principles of MANHOOD; to teach African American male students to be Noble and become successful in the field of Education. 

What is your hope for the future of black teachers and educators? 

“My hope for the future of Black teachers and educators is that the teaching lens of Black teachers and educators are taken in high regards and respectfully honored.”

Did you have any inspiring Black role models growing up?

“Yes, My 7th grade African American History teacher, who taught me to strive for success”

How have you grown since working at Niles North?

“I truly have grown in maturity. Motivating students everyday has taught me the power of being driven.

What is something that students should know about you?

“Students do know that I am a success story.”

What is your favorite cookout song?

“Celebration by Kool and the Gang.”

What dessert is a must for Thanksgiving Dinner?

“Sweet potato pie”

It is vital to give Black educators and staff the recognition that they have earned and deserve. Mr. Bias exemplifies Black Excellence through his work as a paraprofessional, as well as through his work with NOTICE. There are so many other Black staff members here at Niles North that deserve a spotlight this Black History Month. Every week of February there will be a new Black Staff Spotlight article written to celebrate them!