Orchestra instructor Jennifer Page wins Skokie Award for Artistic Excellence

Congratulations to Jennifer Page, D219 Orchestra instructor, who was awarded the 2022 Skokie Award for Artistic Excellence by the Skokie Fine Arts Commission. 

The Skokie Award for Artistic Excellence is an award presented to a Skokie resident who performs outstanding work in the community. Winners are taken into consideration for their work in the Skokie community, demonstration of artistic elements and excellence, amount of residents they have impacted, and awards received. 

Orchestra teacher Jennifer Page won the 2022 Skokie Award for Artistic Excellence for her leadership in the music programs offered in the Skokie community. (Photo provided by Jennifer Page)

This year, Niles North’s very own Jennifer Page was given this award. Page was so enthusiastic and honored when I reached out for a staff spotlight for the award. Though not for her own personal benefit, but for the light and recognition it brings on to the orchestra programs and her students. 

“Well, first, I felt like I don’t need this recognition. I love what I do and I don’t need the recognition for it. But what I was so excited about was that I felt like this is for the kids,” Page said. “This is for the students that over these 10 years of being here, and working so hard to build the orchestra program up. I felt like this was great for them. At the same time, it’s great to be acknowledged and recognized for the hard work that you do, even as an adult.” 

Page has been teaching for 10 years here at Niles North, but 20 years overall. She teaches three orchestra classes: Concert Orchestra, Philharmonic Orchestra, and Symphonic Orchestra. She also teaches Guitar 1 and 2. Along with classes, she also sponsors the Vikings String club which offers student musicians a chance to play different types of music than in the classroom, like pop songs. 

In addition to her work at Niles North, Page partakes in teaching an orchestra program at the Niles North feeder schools. In her first year teaching in D219, she established orchestra programs for Golf Middle School and McCracken Junior High. Unlike Old Orchard Junior High, these are Niles North feeder schools that did not offer a chance to play a string instrument.

Just this year, Page also had the opportunity to expand her program into East Prairie Middle School, another Niles North feeder school. The program has constantly been growing ever since and gives students the opportunity to enter high school at an advanced level in orchestra. 

“One of the things that just makes me so happy as an orchestra teacher is seeing freshmen, like seeing all the kids from different schools mingling, becoming friends and becoming close,” Page said. “I just always think to myself, if we didn’t have programs at the middle schools like that, they [students] would never really get to know each other or connect on that level.”

Many of Page’s students, specifically seniors, have been with her for four years, if not even more. The connection she forms with them is one of her favorite things about what she does. 

Mrs. Page has had such a positive impact on my high school career, being a student of hers for four years has taught me a lot about what it means to be a responsible student, musician, and all-around individual.

— Sebastian Lostaunau, senior

“It’s great that we have concerts because we get to showcase what we are doing, but for me, it’s also like just the day-to-day,” Page said. “Getting to know about the students [and] asking them about all their activities and their classes and like their sports and just having a connection.”

Not only does Page appreciate the connection she has with them, but she also has impacted anyone she has worked with immensely. Whether it was for 4+ years, or just a small moment.

“Mrs. Page has had such a positive impact on my high school career, being a student of hers for four years has taught me a lot about what it means to be a responsible student, musician, and all-around individual,”  senior Sebastian Lostaunau said. “Her teaching methods engage everyone in a fun and exciting way, and it’s always exciting to walk into her class every day. Continuing orchestra has been one of the best decisions of my life, and I attribute my enjoyment of the program to Mrs. Page.”

“In the short time I worked with Mrs. Page, she has helped my musical expression immensely. She brings such positive energy to music,” senior Miles Donegan said. 

Overlooking the next few years, Page is hoping to continue to promote and grow Beginner Orchestra and Beginner Band classes. Not just for incoming freshmen, but for anyone who wants to pick up an instrument or used to play but because of Covid 19, dropped it. 

Page encourages everyone to take advantage of all the musical arts opportunities we have here at Niles North and try something, even if students don’t consider themselves musicians. 

“I think everyone within them has a natural musical talent. It’s just a matter of channeling what inspires each person,” she said.

Once again, congratulations to Jennifer Page for the outstanding work she has done and continues to do for Niles North and the Skokie community.