English teacher Guercio bids North ‘arrivederci’

At the end of the 2012-2013 academic year Mary Ellen Guercio will be retiring after 14 years as an English teacher at Niles North.

As an educator, Guercio feels the most important lesson she has learned is to always come prepared. “It may seem hard to believe, but every night I read the same assignment my students do, even though I may have read the book eight or 10 times. That way, the material is fresh in my mind,” Guercio said. Having the lesson planned prior to class helps enrich the students’ learning experience.

Guercio particularly likes to inspire those students who struggle with the subject or don’t show much interest in the assignments. There was a time when Guercio felt that way as well. Before entering college, she hoped to become a math teacher. However, after three courses, something clicked, and Guercio knew that she wanted to become an English teacher. As she says, “I just fell in love with what you did in English. I loved figuring out the puzzle pieces of [the] stories and novels. I saw it like a math-problem, but in a totally new light,” Guercio said.

Formerly a teacher at DePaul University, Guercio had to return to school in order to take additional classes to be certified as a high school teacher. Over the years, she has established strong relationships and wonderful memories among co-workers, and especially her students.

When Guercio first began at Niles North as a student teacher, she worried about disciplining the students. Her fears quickly dissolved, as she was warmly welcomed by her students.

While next year’s Vikings return to school, Guercio will be taking a three week vacation to Italy with her husband and another couple. With more time on her hands, Guercio hopes to explore the United States, buy a bicycle and visit her five grandchildren. She hopes to return to North as a substitute, just to be around the students.

“Mrs. Guercio helped me better interpret and analyze novels in an enjoyable way,” sophomore Miriam Blumenthal said. “She will be missed greatly.”