A book for every reader: New summer reading program kicks off

This years new summer reading program gives Niles North students a chance to chose what books they want to read.

In the past, summer reading has happened through English classes. Rather than the culminating assignment given to assess reading, this is a school-wide program. Prior to leaving for the summer, students will be asked to select the book of their choice. When returning in the fall, there will be school-wide discussions led by different teachers for each particular book.

This upcoming summer reading program focuses more on cultural reading and reading for fun, rather than being given strict rules to follow. This program is more student focused which models authentic, real life reading situations, as we read usually for pleasure rather than to fulfill an assignment.

Keeping in mind the different reading levels and abilities, the literacy subcommittee selected texts to accommodate each individual student’s reading capability. Therefore there is a mixture of young adult and adult titles which currently sit on the list. The content of all 25 book selections contain both appropriate and interesting content offered to the wide range of readers. The books which are currently on the list are choice selections recommended by both students and teachers, divided into many different genres.

“Our goal was to honor text choice, students being able to chose their own book,”reading specialist and English teacher Katherine Gillies said. “There is a book for every reader.”

This program provides students a full spectrum of choices allowing them to discover the pleasures of reading. Giving students the chance to select their reading materials helps improve their literacy skills as well as develops a life-long love for reading.

“We really want everyone in the school to get involved and take responsibility,” librarian and media specialist Beverly Zbinden said. “Reading for life is something that happens in many different subject areas, not just one.”

Besides text choice, students will be able to buy the many book titles at a hefty discount, ranging from 70-80 percent off.

This program exists for sophomores through seniors. Incoming freshman will have a separate program. Check out the video and be on the lookout for more information coming in May.