Niles North theatre students take flight with ‘The Birds’

Niles North’s Advance Theatre Studio class will be performing Aristophanes’ The Birds as part of the Coming Together in Skokie celebration of Greek culture. Performances are on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 4:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., and Wednesday, Feb. 13 at 9:00 a.m., 10:45 am and 7:00 p.m. in the Drama Performance Center. A number of teachers have signed up to take their classes to the Wednesday morning performances.

The comedic Greek play, directed by Ann Hartdegen, is about what would happen if birds took over the world. Junior Lauryn Schmelzer, who plays the role of Tereus said, “My favorite part of playing a bird is the physicality. Birds have such a fun way of moving in their head, wings and tiny little legs. We get to wear elaborate masks to make the transformation into birds even more complete. It’s playful and fun.”

The cast also includes: seniors Emma Decker, Nina Roy, Max Dolinko, Rachel Sepiashvili, Christopher Khoshaba, Sarah Alkyer, Eugene Hyun and Anabel Abraham; juniors, Amy Hagedorn, Noah Zeidman, Camille Paskind, Rebecca Pickering, Ryan Loach, Jacquelyn Shannon, Evan Sturt, Sabina Dzelilovic, Destiny Hall and Nathan Selinger; and sophomores Teresa Franks, Julia Melnick, Maddie Martin, Hannah Sahyouni, Robin Wallace, David Gilbert, Joanna Vaklin, Simon Gebremedhin, Natalie Aleman and Rhiannon Yalowitz.

Tickets for the show are $10 and may be purchased at the box office.