District takes a new APproach to AP courses

Niles North will be hosting an AP information night in the auditorium from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 28.

During the first hour, a panel of representatives will discuss Advanced Placement classes, their difficulty, and required expectations. Additionally, they will discuss the college admissions process. The panel includes students currently enrolled in the AP track, college representatives from Michigan State University and University of Chicago, and a representative from the college board.

Following the speeches, parents and students will have the opportunity to explore the AP fair in the cafeteria. With more than 21 AP courses to explore, students will be able to review the courses’ materials and their prerequisites. At each AP subject’s table, there will be a teacher available to answer questions, and students, who are currently enrolled in AP classes, to give their fellow peers their own perspective.

“Our goal is to give students exposure to rigorous courses,” Bridget Connolly, Student Services assistant principal, said.

The event aims to increase awareness about AP courses and the academic rigor of college; it will allow students to explore the numerous AP classes offered to better prepare themselves for college.