Speaking their minds: NN vs. GBS in spoken word poetry

Poetry is a unique expression of thoughts and feelings through the creative interpretation of words and ideas.

Last week Niles North hosted its second poetry slam against Glenbrook South High School.  Bill Sullivan, Niles North English teacher, and Lisa Richardson of GBS arranged this entertaining and informative event.

Marc Kelly  Smith, creator of the poetry slam phenomenon,  emceed this gathering, just as he does at the Green Mill Jazz Club every Sunday evening.

The poetry slam was conducted in a respectful manner.  Each student writer was introduced by name and performed their poems for the audience.  Each poet was scored on a scale of 1-10 by five judges randomly selected from the audience.  The scores were totaled independently.  Rema Abu-Hashim and Michelle Askin, two GBS students, took first and second place in this event.

All of the poems performed evoked powerful themes and messages.

“I really liked how the poems were very meaningful and that the writers spoke with so much emotion,” sophomore Daniella Maizenberg said.

Many of the poems dealt with the problems and real life situations that teenagers face, such as, love, loss, pain, and family.

One student spoke about the issue of abuse.  She talked about how, on the outside, people may appear to have a wonderful life, when in reality it’s just the opposite. She explained that many people see her as spoiled child, but what they don’t know about her is that she lives in an abusive home.

Poetry slams allow writers and poets to perform their work for an audience.  Speaking before a live audience helps writers focus on their story and the message that they want to portray.

To conclude the program, teachers were asked to write a poem on the spot and perform it to the student audience.  The poetry slam was a huge success.  It helped students open up and shares their ideas in a safe and welcoming environment.

“It was spectacular seeing kids getting together in a positive space where they all support one another,” Sullivan said.  “Everyone has a story to tell.”

Another venue which allows students to express themselves is the poetry club, Outspoken, sponsored by Sullivan. This club allows students to perform and perfect their writing  and public speaking techniques through exercises and critiques. Outspoken meets Mondays after school.