Iron Vikings show off immense dedication after 12 athletic seasons

Penelope Roewe
Athletes who have participated in a sport for three seasons each school year are awarded the Iron Viking title at the Awards of Distinction every year.

Every year during the Awards of Distinction ceremony, athletes who have participated in a sport for three seasons each school year are awarded the Iron Viking title. Five members of the Class of 2024 earned this prestigious distinction, including Joslyn Frommelt, CJ Hood, Arian Alaj, Farah Tawfik, and Ari Elmayan.

Joslyn Frommelt

Joslyn Frommelt (pictured left) and Farah Tawfik (pictured right)

From Swim and Dive (fall) to Indoor Track and Field (winter) to Outdoor Track and Field (spring), Joslyn Frommelt is one of only five distinguished seniors in the Class of 2024 to earn the coveted Iron Viking award.

Frommelt went on to discuss her athletic experiences during high school and the way they have shaped her outlook on her future endeavors. 

What’s an experience in your life/your sport that shaped you into the athlete you are today?

One of my first experiences in club swim was when I made regionals for the very first time. When I qualified I had no idea what regionals were, but I was excited to experience the next level and faster swimming. Sports have shaped me to who I am as I work hard, am very competitive, and give it my all. I really like this one saying/quote, I don’t know who said it but it’s “Don’t stop when you’re tired. Stop when you are done.”

Can you share some of the biggest challenges you faced during your career and how you overcame them?

I found it challenging to balance the sports and academics especially during junior and senior year. There have been many times when I’m really tired after practice (swim or track & field) and then have to do my homework. I had to really prioritize my time. I would take advantage of my study periods to get as much homework done and try to work ahead especially when I know that I have an upcoming meeting.

What was the best moment in your high school sports career?

I can’t think of just one as there have been so many memories with my teammates from the team bonding and getting personal best times. In swimming, the Elk Grove meets when we performed our synchronized swimming and won three years in a row. It was so much fun working with the girls coming up with a routine. Then in track, I really loved the thrower relay at Rock Island where we got first and won a cake for the team.

What are your future goals? Do you plan to continue competing athletically at the collegiate level?

During college, I hope to figure out what I want to study in business and hopefully get to study abroad. I’d like to continue swimming at the club level and staying active.

In the fall, Frommelt will attend Marquette University to pursue a bachelor’s degree in business.

CJ Hood

Courtesy of CJ Hood

Corban “CJ” Hood, a senior at Niles North, is one of only five students this year to receive the Iron Viking. Hood, famously regarded as a very dedicated and active student, spoke about his experiences with sports at Niles North and his plans for the future.

What is an experience in your life/your sport that shaped you into the athlete you are today? Definitely growing up playing sports was a big part of it. Growing up, I was involved in a lot of sports throughout the Skokie Park District like little league football and little league baseball. That definitely shaped me into the athlete I am today, because I was able to learn the skills–fundamentals–that I do now from an early age. I was able to practice and try to perfect those skills for a longer period of time.

What are some of your biggest challenges that you faced during your career and how did you overcome them? One of the biggest challenges that I faced, in my high school career specifically, was, in my junior year, I tore my MCL (a major inner-knee ligament) in a football game–in the sixth game of the season. I had to miss the remaining three and make sure that I rehabbed and did everything I needed to do to get back for the next, following season in my senior year, which is one of the most important seasons. [All] so I could start rebuilding [and] be a better athlete in my senior year.

What is your favorite moment in high school athletics? Ironically, it’s the game where I tore my MCL. We had previously been down by a touchdown. In the first quarter of the game, I tore my MCL. I was out for a drive, but I came back into the game and continued to play, even though I had a torn MCL. Obviously, [I was] limited mobily, and I ended throwing for 214 yards in two touchdowns, and our team won by one point after a blocked field goal. So, it was a heartfelt win. It’s something I’ll never forget.

What are your plans after high school? Do you hope to compete athletically at the collegiate level? Yes. After my senior year, I was blessed to receive a handful of offers from different universities, spanning from Division III and Division I FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) schools. Next year I’ll be playing football at Roosevelt University, a Division II school.

Hood is undeniably a figure to look up to, even to non-athletes, given his powerful personal drive. As long as he continues his successful time management and admirable athletic determination after high school, the world of football may see its next viking, this time not based in Minnesota, but from Skokie, Illinois.

Arian Alaj

Photo credited to: Arian Alaj

Arian Alaj, a football player and track participant, is a senior who will be graduating this year. On May 16, he received what he’d been working for the last four years of his life: the Iron Viking award. Alaj, a football MVP and track star, shares his experience and what it took to win the highly coveted Iron Viking award.

What’s an experience(s) in your life/your sport that shaped you into the athlete you are today?

One huge experience was breaking my leg as a sophomore varsity starter, that’s made me a lot more careful as an athlete and also showed me the importance of recovery because of all the PT I did. The injury was one of the worst moments of my career, but I’m glad I could turn it into a learning experience. Watching from the sidelines when you could be out on the field is a feeling I never want to feel again, and I worked to make sure I’d never feel that way. 

The biggest challenge was probably also breaking my leg as well as having to lead the line for 2 years on the football team. Like I said before, watching from the sidelines after pretty much just beginning my career and being a starter was a feeling I can’t describe. It was a long recovery that took tons of very hard work. Leading the line for football for two years was also a hard challenge; it’s one of the hardest positions in football in my opinion and it also took a ton of hard work. There’s been a lot over the years, though. 

The best moment in my athletic career was the last football game of my senior year against Maine West. I had my best game all season and was able to leave it all out on the field for my last game as a high schooler. It was bittersweet, as I knew as soon as I stepped off the field I’d be done with [Niles] North football, but it had to end eventually. I’m glad we were able to end it off with a good performance. Winning Most Valuable Player my senior year was a pretty great moment, too. 

What are your future goals? 

I plan to continue my football career in college at the College of DuPage. Go Chaparrals!

Congratulations are also extended to Iron Viking award winners Farah Tawfik and Ari Elmayan for their commendable athletic commitments exhibited throughout their time at Niles North.