Boys Basketball gears up for the 2023/2024 Season

Photo Credits: Niles North Athletics Twitter

Get ready for an exhilarating season of basketball as the Niles North High School boys hit the court with determination and skill. Anticipation is running high as the team gears up to showcase their talent, teamwork, and dedication in the upcoming season. With a roster boasting a mix of seasoned players and promising newcomers, Coach Glenn Olson has been hard at work refining strategies and fostering a culture of excellence.

Fans can expect an exciting blend of athleticism, strategy, and sportsmanship as the Vikings aim to make a significant impact in the Central Suburban League (CSL). Whether it’s the sharp three-pointers, fast breaks, or solid defense, Niles North promises to deliver an unforgettable display of high school basketball.

The team’s chemistry on and off the court will be a key factor in their success, and the players are eager to prove themselves in every game. As the season unfolds, supporters can look forward to witnessing the growth and evolution of the team, creating memories that will last a lifetime. So mark your calendars, grab your spirit wear, and get ready to cheer on the Vikings as they embark on a journey toward victory in what promises to be an electrifying basketball season.

Coach Olson, a seasoned mentor with a passion for the game, assembled his team against Prosser High School on Monday, November 20th for their first game of the season. They ended up coming out victorious with a score of 67-34.

“We moved the ball really well as a team and had great chemistry,” junior Dylan Lam said. “Overall, we have a lot to improve on, but we still ended up getting the win. We will continue to get better as a team and we have a lot of potential.” 

The team is a mix of veterans and promising young talents. Among the returning players is Reid Olson, a sharpshooting guard known for his clutch performances in tight games. Alongside him is Yaris Irby, another guard who is able to beat his man for the easy layup or make the contested three.

“The first game was electric, the energy was great and (we) managed to start the season with a win,”  senior John Nueva said. 

As the season kicks off, Niles North will face a tough schedule with matchups against rival schools known for their basketball prowess, like Niles West. The Vikings will need to emphasize a fast-paced, aggressive style of play that showcases the team’s athleticism and skill. Practices are intense, with players pushing each other to new heights. The camaraderie among the players extends beyond the court, as they bond over shared goals like the conference and regional championships.

With the season starting, Niles North will head straight into a 4-day Thanksgiving tournament where they will get a taste of how their season will go. These tournaments are crucial in getting the boys prepared for playoffs later in the season.

The team’s season will not only bring glory to the school but also leave a lasting legacy of teamwork, perseverance, and the unyielding spirit of Niles North.