Boys soccer dominates conference, ranks 10th in State

The boys pose in their conference champions shirt following their 9-1 win against Highland Park, securing the conference championship. Photo credited to: Brett Bildstein

The Niles North Boys soccer team is on a 13-game winning streak, and they’re looking to extend it further with a win against GBN in the CSL Crossover. 

The Vikings, currently ranked #10 on the popular high school sports app MaxPreps, have had an extremely successful season thus far. The Vikings started off the season with three wins and two losses, losing their first game against John Hersey High School with a score of 4-3 and their fifth game against current #3 in the state New Trier in a 2-1 contest. 

Although they lost two out of their first five games, the Vikings weren’t discouraged in the slightest. 

“Yeah, we lost two games, but they were against some really good opponents,” junior and varsity player Irfan Sarvan said. “Plus, we were missing five starters against Hersey due to IHSA rules. If they had played, we would’ve won for sure.”

The Vikings picked up their season from there, going 5-0 in Conference, including a 4-0 win against rival Niles West, securing the CSL North title. As a team, they’ve scored 82 goals, while only being scored 18 times. 

Since they won the CSL North, they’ll be playing the champions of the CSL South, which happens to be Glenbrook North, who are currently ranked #6 on MaxPreps. The game will be held on Thursday, Oct. 5 at 7 p.m., and it will be held at Glenbrook North’s stadium. 

Their successful season landed them the #4 seed in the IHSA State Playoffs. This means that they’ll play the #13 seed Walter Peyton for the regional semi-finals at 4 p.m. on Oct. 17. The game will be held at Leyden High School. The boys look to build off of their successful season and create an even more successful playoff run.