Messi becomes the most decorated player in soccer’s history

Messi celebrates the MLS Leagues Cup victory with the rest of the Inter Miami squad. Photo credited to: France 24

Messi became the most decorated soccer player in history by winning the MLS Leagues Cup on August 19. 

Lionel Messi, considered to be one of the greatest players in the history of soccer and world sports, has just cemented his name even further into history with yet another record. He has accumulated a total of 44 trophies, surpassing Dani Alves’s tally of 43. 

With a trophy cabinet consisting of marvelous trophies such as a World Cup, 4 Champions leagues, and 7 ballon d’ors, nobody can doubt the validity of this record. 

With Messi’s transfer to Inter Miami, a team at the bottom of America’s Major League Soccer (MLS) league table, many soccer fans around the world considered him to be “finished” with his career. However, he showed everyone that he wasn’t done just yet by bringing Inter Miami to the first trophy in the club’s entire history, scoring ten goals in just seven games. 

With this victory, he raised his trophy tally to 44, thus becoming the most decorated player in the sport’s history. 

Both soccer players and fans at Niles North acknowledge the greatness of Lionel Messi.

“This just proves even further that Messi is the greatest player of all time,” senior Varsity soccer player Dany Sticlaru said. “He just shows again and again that he can carry an entire team, and he’s just magical to watch.”

Although some fans don’t think that Messi is the greatest, they can still admit that this record is extremely impressive.

“This record definitely shows Messi’s greatness,” junior and Varsity soccer player Danny Escobedo said, “But Ronaldo is still the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time)”.

Although Messi achieved this record, he might not be done winning trophies. On Sept. 27, Inter Miami will play Houston Dynamo in the U.S. Open Cup Final. Should they win this game, Messi will add yet another trophy to his tally. You can watch all of Inter Miami’s games with the purchase of an Apple TV subscription.