Spartan Presidential Debate Series stops at Niles North

Niles North High School was selected to be the host site in Chicago area for the Michigan State Presidential Debate Series. Michigan State debaters are making four total stops on their national school tour, one of which being Niles North, so teachers and students alike can share the excitement of hosting this lively event.

Katie Gjerpen, North debate team coach and coordinator, stresses the importance of students being involved in politics and this year’s election.

“It is important that a nation’s citizens are active in order to maintain a democratic government. The opportunity to elect your nation’s officials is not one that is available to everyone in the world,”  Gjerpen says.

The Presidential Debate Series will have a 45-minute discussion on the importance of the presidential debates and some of the issues that the debate will feature.

The panel discussing the topics of the Vice Presidential Debate include Will Repko, head debate coach at Michigan State University; Pankaj Sharma, North social studies teacher; Karli Goldenberg, a sophomore debater; and Gjerpen.

“It is a unique opportunity for students to gain insight into why the presidential debates rose to national prominence and the effect they have on the American public,” Gjerpen says.

At the Spartan Debate Series event at North, participants can view a live screening of the Vice Presidential Debate between Vice President Joe Biden and Representative Paul Ryan.

The Spartan Presidential Debate Series is the perfect place to get educated on this year’s national election. The free event starts Thursday, Oct. 11, at 7:15 p.m. in the Codell Commons.