After 23 years, Naughton says goodbye to Niles North

After working at Niles North High school for 23 years, Jacklyn Naughton, STEM Inquiry & Research and biology teacher, is retiring.

Throughout her career at North, Naughton developed new programs to aid  students and teachers. She was instrumental in developing the highly praised Niles North Mentor Program for teachers, which eventually transitioned to be a peer-coaching program. The program was designed to help new teachers adapt and become familiar with their new environment by assigning them an experienced teacher as their mentor. Naughton also introduced the nationally recognized  STEM Inquiry & Research program to Niles North.  She has also served as an officer for the Niles Township Federation of Teachers.

“Even though she is retiring soon, she still has not stopped introducing and trying new things,” biology teacher Heidi Eichler said. “This year she was willing to do the Flip Classroom in which students do homework in class while hearing the lectures at home. She continues to do workshops and take classes. In fact, she recently earned her certification in Online Teaching and Curricular Design.”

In 1996, Naughton was voted Teacher of the Year. She was also a Golden Apple Finalist in 2001 and won the Outstanding Teacher Award from the University of Chicago in 2002. Students have named her Most Inspirational Teacher 15 times throughout her 23 years at North.

Naughton was awarded the Most Inspirational Teacher title again this year by graduating seniors Ayana Jamal, Emmie Asrow and Elan Ness-Cohn.

“[Naughton] set super high standards and expected exceptional results,” Ness-Cohn said. ” Her passion for her students is reflected in her work. She truly is a master teacher who aspires to see every one of her students, not only succeed, but flourish. With her retirement this year, it is clear that she has touched a generation of students.”

Naughton’s main goal has always been to push her students to achieve their fullest potential. She has helped many students develop their confidence by simply expecting the best.

“Kids need to be pushed to do their best because a lot of them do not realize what they are capable of doing,” Naughton said.

“Naughton is an extremely dedicated teacher who is willing to go to great lengths to help her students and colleagues flourish and succeed. She is willing to help anyone at anytime with anything,” biology teacher and former mentee of Naughton, Lisa Mckenna, said.

Under Naughton’s guidance, students have been bringing home the top trophy of the Illinois Junior Academy of Science science fair for 23 years. She also has guided students to win trophies from the Illinois State University Science Symposium. Naughton has also served as sponsor for RIOT (Researchers & Investigators of Tomorrow) Club.

After her retirement, Naughton will be working part-time at the Illinois Math and Science Academy. She will also engage in online teaching there, especially in scientific research. She hopes to travel, return to music — she was previously a pianist, guitarist and vocalist — and do volunteer work.

“She is just one of a kind,” Eichler said. “True to form, Naughton is retiring but she is definitely not stopping.”