North science program dominates Illinois student researchers

During the course of the past two weeks, Niles North students in the STEM Inquiry and Research (SIRs) course and Researchers and Investigators Of Tomorrow (RIOT) club have participated in multiple fairs and symposiums, coming out victorious in them all.

On Friday,  Apr. 27, despite the looming pressures for competing seniors of getting home to attend Prom, 18 students placed at the 11th Annual Illinois State University High School Research Symposium. The students, along with their corresponding category and rank, are the following: Ashley Thomas (Animal Sciences – 3rd), Cheyenne Guy (Behavioral Science – 3rd), Rupal Desai (Biochemistry – 2nd), Julia Bentkowska (Cellular & Molecular – 3rd), Ilma Lodhi (Cellular & Molecular – 1st), Josh Lipschultz (Computer Science – 1st), Jourj Baghdisar (Earth Science – 1st), Emre Erel (Engineering – 3rd), Sam Bearman (Engineering – 2nd), Elan Ness- Cohn (Engineering -1st), Micah Beller (Medicine & Health – 3rd), Alexander Weiss (Medicine & Health – 2nd), Ayana Jamal (Medicine & Health – 1st), Moshe Rubin (Microbiology – 3rd), Shahzmeen Hussain (Physics – 3rd), Reena Patel (Physics – 1st), Eric Wolf-Klammer (Plant Sciences – 3rd), and Sam Bearman (Edison Award).

On Saturday, May 5, the 41 students that qualified for the Illinois Junior Academy of Science (IJAS) state exposition traveled down to the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to present their work. The students captured 37 gold medals, three silvers, and one bronze. Out of the hundreds of projects that were displayed over the span of 19 categories, North students enjoyed an amazing turnout as 11 students took home Best in Category Awards and three received other special awards.

Best in Category Awards went to the following students: James Gilbert (Astronomy), Regina Roberg (Behavioral Science), Jeffrey Gaynes (Biochemistry), Haley Sproull (Chemistry), Jourj Baghdisar (Earth Science), Zain Lakhani (Electronics), Elan Ness-Cohn (Engineering), Athanasia Giannetos (Environmental Science), Alexander Weiss (Health Science), Ashley Thomas (Zoology) and Haley Bubley (Zoology).

Special Awards also went to: Jourj Baghdisar (American Nuclear Society Award), Ayana Jamal (American Statistical Society Award) and Jacob Cohn (American Water Association Award).

Senior Ayana Jamal also received the Schroeder-Wetzel Scholarship sponsored by the IJAS worth $1,500. Junior Micah Beller also received the award for the top paper in the senior division throughout the state.

After savoring many incredible feats and achievements this year, the science program at Niles North has reached unimaginable heights. The science community has growth exponentially in just the past few years due to the dedication of the District 219 staff, building of the STEM lab and integration of the SIRs course. Aside from primary sponsor Jacklyn Naughton’s retirement, the program will also see many seniors leaving, a sorrowful but merry moment for all.

“Over the past four years, the majority of us have grown to form a family with Naughton, largely because of the SIRs course and RIOT club bringing us together with our common passion for science, technology, engineering and mathematics,” Senior Haley Bubley said. “It will be sad to see her go and for us to leave after all our learning experiences together, but I know that the entire program is extremely happy at what we have accomplished this year in honor of Naughton and all that she has helped us do throughout high school.”