Senioritis: It is a real thing

Seniors around the nation are suffering from an “illness” commonly known as senioritis.  While there may not be an actual bacteria associated with senioritis, there is definitely something psychological going on in the brain of seniors, as noticed by fellow students, parents, and teachers.

So what exactly is senioritis?

Senioritis is characterized by an extreme lack of motivation and carelessness as it relates to school and school work.  Even the most prestigious students find themselves waiting until the last minute to complete the simplest assignments.

Senioritis copy

What causes senioritis?

There is no one cause of senioritis, but rather it seems to be caused by a combination of events and thoughts.  Once seniors are accepted to college, they feel like the next part of their life is already in place, and thus their current situation is irrelevant.  The phrase “I’ve already been accepted to college, so it doesn’t matter” can be heard numerous times in the hallway on any given day.  The logic found among seniors is that they won’t be rejected from college if they get an ‘B’ instead of an ‘A’.

Similarly, there is this realization that there are many more important things to do than sit in school or do homework.  Seniors find themselves wanting to spend time with their friends creating amazing memories, seeing as they have less than a year left together.

Finally, there is this feeling of just being “done” with school.  The end of high school is so near and students are already planning the next step.

What are the consequences of senioritis?

The greatest consequences of senioritis appear as it relates to college and scholarships.  As seniors lose their motivation, their grades often slip.  Because their student’s GPAs may fall below what it had been in prior years, colleges rescind acceptances or lower merit scholarship amounts.

What is the cure for senioritis?

There is no known cure for senioritis aside from graduation.  Treatment for symptoms of senioritis differs from person to person.  Regardless, students should try their hardest to stay on top of their work and not letting it all pile up.  They should take breaks as they do homework and maybe dedicate a specific day of the week toward having fun.  Do whatever it is you do to keep yourself motivated, whether that be bribing yourself with chocolate or some other incentive.

Hang in there seniors! Less than two months to go!