Local pizza connoisseurs compete in culinary clash

Local+pizza+connoisseurs+compete+in+culinary+clash+

The annual Pizza Wars competition between local pizza hubs returns this Thursday, January 15 2015. Only this time, for the first time ever, the D219 Education Foundation, assisted by Dance Marathon, will be hosting this beloved event at Niles North High School in the main gym.

The event will last from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. However, the pizza taste testing to determine which sauce is boss, which cheese reeks, or which crust is a must will end after 7:15 p.m.

Tickets are $12 in advance and can be purchased outside the cafeteria during lunch periods or at this website.

Only a limited amount of tickets are available in advance for a reduced price, but tickets will still be sold at the door for $15.

A single ticket will get each person pizza samples from each of the ten participating pizzerias as well as a chip to vote on which pizza sliced through the competition. The local pizza champion will be named at 7:30 p.m., earning the Golden Pizza Cutter Award for 2015.

While the connoisseurs of pizza are competing to earn your chip in their favor, Niles North student performances, previously showcased during this year’s Variety Show, will entertain attendants. The line up is as follows:

6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
Ena Allaverdy (senior — voice) & Al Estacion (sophomore — voice & guitar)
7:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Nina Rickett-Green (junior — voice) & Raina Chinitz (junior — voice & guitar)
7:30 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
Leah Rubinberg (freshman — voice & guitar)
8:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
Russell Reyes (junior — voice) & Jacob Austria (junior — voice & guitar)

Pizza Wars is expanding with each passing year. Last year, more than 500 people attended and this year, CBS Channel 2’s Vince Gerasole will join with Dance Marathon students, some of the participating local restaurants, and potentially one or two of our mayors from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. to publicize the event on live TV.

As awareness of this great event grows, the community’s awareness of Dance Marathon and the District 219 Education Foundation, for which Pizza Wars raises money to provide “​academic-related support to students who face financial need.”

“It’s a win-win-win fundraiser: low costs for the foundation, gives great publicity for our local restaurants, and people who buy tickets get a lot of great food for a very reasonable price,” says Community Relations Director Jim Szczepaniak.
Pizza Wars has come a long way since an idea on the drawing board, and Alyse Burman, the head of the event, approaching each of the local pizza places, asking who would be willing to donate pizzas to help our students in need. As Pizza Wars grows, our whole community grows as we increasingly come together for this annual treat.