Get Techy with it in the IRC during Teen Tech Week

Students and teachers will have the opportunity to show off their inner geek during Teen Tech week, being hosted in the IRC.

From Monday, Mar. 10 to Thursday, Mar. 13, students can help decorate the IRC during their free periods and/or study halls by making LED clouds. Students will learn how to use arudino micro-controllers to code LED lights inside the clouds.

“The LED clouds are being made with an Arduino, which is an open-source electronics prototyping platform based on flexible, easy to use hardware and software. The LED cloud can be manipulated by using a remote control that sends infrared signals, in which the arduino receives the signals and responds accordingly. The LED cloud has several different “moods.” The settings include sun, rain, storm, rainbow, and more,” Robb Barton, Engineering teacher, said.

On Friday, Mar. 14, students and teachers can battle it out in a game of Wii Sports on the big screen. These competitions will be held during all periods on Friday. Sign-up for this fantastic event today! The sign-up sheet is available in the library for those who wish to participate. Check out this hilarious preview featuring Athletic Director, Karl Costello, and Andreas Otil here.

Teen Tech week is a week in which libraries across the nation take time to showcase all their great non-print resources and services they have to offer to teens and their families. This year’s theme is “DIY @ your library.”

“The Niles North IRC is celebrating Teen Tech Week because we have a lot of awesome resources and services in addition to books. Many students don’t even know all the IRC has to offer them, and we want people to experience the IRC in a new and different way,” Caitlin Greener, librarian, said.

The IRC’s First Annual Teen Tech Week truly is a great way discover all our school library has to offer. Stop by this week to partake in all the geeky fun.

Also, be sure to follow the IRC on Twitter @NNirc and like Niles North IRC on Facebook to get updates on when new books arrive, book recommendations, tips on how to use special library resources, reminders about events, and other library news.

Happy Teen Tech Week, Vikings!